Pages

Monday 8 July 2013

B is for boots and for blisters

I've been on a quest to prevent blisters of late in he run up to the Oxfam Trailtrekker which was a couple of weeks ago. Well on that note I had a flash of inspiration recently following the gradual destruction of my feet over he course of the 28 hours of the Trailtrekker.

So blisters are caused by compression (constant pressure) and/or friction. The friction is exacerbated by moisture which is created through heat and sweating (or standing in a puddle, but lets assume for this argument that we haven stepped in a puddle). The only way for heat to get away or out of your shoe/boot is out of the gaping hole that your foot or ankle goes in. I don't think anyone has ever given this a name although its the equivalent of a neck in your jumper.

I would assume (although its never good to assume) that heat would dissipate far slower are far less efficiently from boots then it would from trainers so I can only assume (it's dangerous to assume) that over long distances boots could be more liable to give you blisters. I would dearly love to hear peoples views whether in agreement or disagreement with this theory. Another two guys in my team on the Trailtrekker (I can't include the third guy as he was only recruited he day before the event and so hadn't trained and conditioned his feet), both wore trainers/shoes and neither had a single blister where my feet were a disgrace. I did prevent chafing though although I'll post about this at a later stage.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Roam the Hills. Design by WPThemes Expert
Themes By Buy My Themes And Cheap Conveyancing.