Pages

Friday 7 May 2010

My mind's been miles away - making waves

Quite literally, I've actully been down under in Australia for the last 2 1/2 weeks on a surf trip up the East Coast.

We were blessed and had 2 weeks of sunshine with the very occasional, very brief burst of rain (which tended to be of an eve whilst we were partaking in liquid refreshment under canvas) that caused no inconvenience whatsoever along with constant clean waves and sea temperatures of over 20 degrees it was a trip from heaven.

I stayed with various friends out there, both Aussie and British, for the duration of the break. Two of us flew out from the UK into Sydney (thankfully a day before some northernmost hill started slaying travelling Europeans flight itineraries) for a couple of days where left soon after seeing the sights (which I'd already taken in when I lived there) and headed up towards Forster where we met three mates in Booty Booty national park in a campsite on the beach. The next week took us on a road trip camping in various isolated beachside campsites (firstly in Point Plomer then near Lennox Head) before arriving in Byron Bay where we had an appartment for the weekend.

More waves were had by all despite the swell dropping off a touch. Respite was taken in Brisbane for a few days before firing up to Noosa for a couple of days to surf the point breaks of the National Park before heading back to Brisbane to commence the day long journey home. All told an awesome trip with awesome friends and awesome waves.

Now the training must recommence for the impending English 3000's. This is going to be a touch of a sluggish start as during the last session of surf I was run over causing a chunk of my heel to be sliced off by a fin of the surfer concerned. Any footwear is a no go at the moment and I'm into my 3rd week of flip flops which is a bit bizarre around the office whilst still donning my shirt and tie. That said I am keen as the proverbial mustard to get up to the Lake District to continue the walking regime in preparation for next months English 3000's walk (the Lakeland 3000's with a twist). I was hoping to get up there this weekend to get up Scafell Pike but I am now thinking that this coming weekend is going to be a write off and will have to be spent on my backside or doing some other activity requiring minimal movement, frustratingly. Just hoping that my sliced and diced plate of meat is in some reasonable fettle to complete the National 3 Peaks walk next weekend.

And relax..........................

At least until I am back on my (healthy) feet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Roam the Hills. Design by WPThemes Expert
Themes By Buy My Themes And Cheap Conveyancing.